Re: Unable to mount root

On (23/08/05 06:04), R Charles Flickinger wrote:
> haven not broken through this "wall" for eighteen hours now.  nothing
> I can think of makes any difference

If it is a minor consolation, it took me somthing like 6 months to
complete my first successful Debian install.  However, that was two
versions back (potato) and I only managed to complete the install with
'woody' when it went stable in July 2002.  It was also on a rather
esoteric nubus mac which can't even use bootx.

The good news is that it is a lot easier to install sarge with the new
installer.  However, getting one's head around the install process using
BootX takes a little time.

> I'm using BootX to open install hd-media on a "Wallstreet" Powerbook.

I've done a few installs on beige G3's which are similar architecture
requiring BootX.  I haven't done it for a while and this is from memory:

Method:

Download the powerpc netinst.iso image (this assumes you have a
broadband connection - otherwise you need the full set).
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

On the CD are two files that you need to copy to the MacOS System Folder
(I've not done this using OSX - only OS8.6 and 9.x) into a folder
called Linux Kernels:

initrd.img
vmlinux

With the CD in the Drive, open BootX and in the dropdown box browse to
insert which ramdisk image to boot from.  I didn't have to include any
boot parameters but YMMV.  Other wallstreet users may be able to guide
you here.

You should then be able to boot into the Debian installer from BootX by
selecting 'Linux'

During the install you are offered the opportunity to install the quik
boot loader; I never managed to boot from quik successfully and suggest
you don't install the bootloader.  However, before rebooting you need to
ensure that the installed versions of initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc and
vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc are copied to the MacOS so that you can substitute
these for the installer versions.  You may need to google a bit to do
this, I recall having a few issues with this; in theory you mount your
Mac Partition:

Press ALT-F2 command prompt

$ mount /dev/hda6 /mnt (where 6 is the Mac partition)

locate the images which are normally in /boot and do something like:

$ cp /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc /mnt
$ cp /boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc /mnt

Then Press Alt F1 to return to the installer and assuming all other
tasks are complete, reboot into the Mac side, locate the two files and
put them into the Linux Kernels folder.  Then boot back into Linux and
you should be able to complete the install.

As I said I've not done this for a while but googling should fill in the
gaps.  I really should have done some install notes but never got
around to it; I recommend you do.

And yes, Debian is well worth the effort of climbing the learning curve
;)

Good luck

Regards

Clive