Re: Partition check

> > What happens if you try to mount your HFS partition manually, using the
> > /dev/hdaX device special node (assuming that's what is reported as
> > missing)? Do you have any other partitions (/usr, /home/ etc) in the
> > system? Do those mount OK?
>
> They all mount OK, the very root partition is one of the hdaX.

The HFS partition also mounts OK?

The Unix partitions mounting OK using /dev/hdaX names means the kernel
finds the devices nodes OK, either without devfs mounted (there's no
/dev/ide/ in that case, and /dev/hdaX are real 'files' not symlinks) or
with devfs mounted and devfsd running (which you hadn't, so that case
doesn't concern us here). Either way, please check if your /dev/hdaX are
symbolic links to make sure. Also check /etc/fstab to see what device
names are used there.

So IF the HFS partition also mounts manually, the fault is with partition
image.

> > Re: possible cause: it might be not so much devfs support but rather the
> > 'mount devfs at boot time' option to it. For that to work, you'll need to
> > have devfsd installed and running at boot time.
> >

> I am not sure about this, I didn't have devfsd installed and behn's kernel
> read the hda partitions allright and I am rebooting the iMac right now and...

BenH's kernel was a 2.4 without devfs support, from the boot messages
(that's why you see the hda device names, not the /dev/ide/.... ones).
Anyway, devfsd wasn't your problem as explained above.

> nope, it did not work. I'll check the /usr/src/linux/.config for any
> errors...

	Michael