Re: X Window Server setup: video card Bus ID.

> I'm making the switch from Ubuntu to Debian 'Sarge' (Ubuntu's too
> unstable for my liking). After doing a netinstall of Sarge and using
> apt-get to retrieve x-window-system, kde, and kdm, I set up the
> x-window-system preferences. It says I need to enter a Bus ID for my
> video card (because I'm on PPC, even though I'm only using one vard).
> I used lspci and found my ATI Rage 128 AGP (8MB) with a Bud ID of
> 0000:00:10.0, but it says I have to convert that to hexadecimal to
> put it in. Am I doing this right so far, and, if so, how do I convert
> this to hexadecimal. I've scoured Google for advice, but PPC support
> isn't very strong in the Linux community from what I've seen. Figure
> this is the best place to ask. Any help?

On my 8500, with the on-board video chip (control) and a PCI ATI Mach
64 card, lspci (just taking the output for the video cards) gives:

0000:00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage
Pro (rev 5c)
0001:01:0b.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Apple Computer Inc. Control
Video

And from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, the accompanying BusID lines are:

        BusID           "PCI:0:14:0"
and
        BusID           "PCI:1:11:0"

I think the instructions you have were slightly reversed - you don't
convert the lspci output to hex.  From my example above, that output
is already in hex.  Convert the hex values to decimal to put in your
XF86Config file.

HTH

cheers
vinai