Re: Strange frequency reported by the kernel

On Apr 13 2005, vinai wrote:
> Rogerio,
>
> From what I've remembered reading, the speed detection was always
> problematic on the 1st generation PCI machines with G3 and G4 upgrades,
> and I think the problem was never cleanly resolved as it did not cause
> any real trouble ...

Humm, I didn't know that. Thanks for reporting this.

> From the bogomips rating, it looks like you have a ~ 400 MHz CPU...

Yes, that's what I thought that it was.

> To get the L2 cache activated, I think you need to write a value to the
> l2cr variable which lives somewhere in the /proc directory.  I think the
> "find" command should point you to it.  And if not - google is your
> friend ;-)

So, as I suspected, I indeed needed to issue:

echo '0xa900001c' > /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr

to enable this L2 cache. I discovered this just by sheer luck, because I
did the echo command with 0xa9000000 (notice the last to digits) and, then,
the file just showed me 0xa900001c, without any problems or lock ups. :-)

> I just had a couple of questions, if you didn't mind...

No problems.

> What kernel did you use to get SMP support for your 2x 604e card (I tried
> on my 8500 and was unsuccessful).

I used all the kernels from 2.2.20 to 2.4.23-benhx, when I was using it. I
had no problems getting SMP working on 2.4 kernels, but the 2.2.20 kernel
gave me some strange messages (mostly cosmetic). You can search this list
for my ancient messages.

Then, I did not use it for a while, until I received this upgrade card and
now I could compile a 2.4.30 (vanilla) kernel and a 2.6.11 (also vanilla)
kernel. Both are running fine here.

> And what are you using to boot linux without MacOS on this machine ?

Humm, good question. Sometimes, I can make quik work, but I have more luck
with getting the kernel compiled, compressing the vmlinux file with gzip
and putting it on a floppy with miboot. This way, it never seems to fail
(and also has the advantage that my machine has its battery empty and
commands in the nvram don't survive too long if I disconnect it).

Hope this helps and thank you for your comment, Rogério Brito.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php