Re: pre-release 2.6.11-0.1 debian/powerpc kernel.

> > Tricky to do, if the fn key state is kept internally to the PMU/ADB
> > hardware. What does the OSX app do, precisely?
>
> Its state is kept in ther kernel, look at drivers/macintosh/adbhid.c,

OK, that's a different story then. Would be handled the same as mouseemu
I guess.

> > > No idea either, but I'd bet that it is harmless.
> >
> > I'm seeing that all the time (and weirder stuff) and it doesn't keep the
> > fw disk from working.
>
> >From drivers/ieee1394/ohci1394.c:
>
> 	/* We hardwire the MMIO length, since some CardBus adaptors
> 	 * fail to report the right length.  Anyway, the ohci spec
> 	 * clearly says it's 2kb, so this shouldn't be a problem. */
> 	ohci_base = pci_resource_start(dev, 0);
> 	if (pci_resource_len(dev, 0) != OHCI1394_REGISTER_SIZE)
> 		PRINT(KERN_WARNING, "Unexpected PCI resource length of %lx!",
> 		      pci_resource_len(dev, 0));
>
> but nothing in the PCI specification prohibits a device from requesting
> 4kb even is only 2kb are used.
>
> I've seen devices asking for 64kB when they actually need only 4kB,
> that's a bit excessive but still allowed. Now where the fun started
> with older kernels was that some versions of that chip had two base
> registers, one in the MMIO space, one in the I/O space and you tried
> to allocate the I/O part in the 64kB I/O space on x86.
>
> Coming back to the problem at hand, I don't know what the buggy
> CarbBus adapters report, but I'd say that changing the test to
> accept 2kb to 4kb or even 8kb should be safe and silence the warning.

Can't the ohci1394 driver figure out if it's dealing with a CardBus
adapter? And I've never understood the difference between MMIO and I/O
space on PowerPC PCI... Anyway, according to lspci there is no I/O space
for the Apple ohci1394, if the driver can figure this out somehow it could
just accept whatever resource size the device wants. Or rather, since
PCMCIA (and I hope CardBus as well) is allocating the MMIO region outside
of the ohci1394 driver, just use whatever the device reports here ... I'll
have to test that a bit. Might fail when it comes to releasing the region.

Sleep support seems more important ATM, though.

	Michael