***appletalk.ko & ipddp.ko***

On Mar 3, 2005, at 6:28 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

... which for simply fixing netatalk is a much easier aprroach than
the "chroot" one I was mentioning before. Michel is right, Kim: For this
case I'd forget the "chroot" solution ... :)

I can't thank all of you enough for the patient hand holding! ;)
while kernel panics are a great way to learn the inner workings of Linux it can also be a white-knuckled free-fall into the deep end of the pool! so here is an update and hopefully a warning to other n00bs as to what NOT TO DO when this sort of situation arises:
I finally groked (thanks to both Michel and a friends explanation that the 'Linux old' selections were actually two choices for boots and not a formatting error listing one choice - so I typed in 'old single' and was dumped into the shell as root...now I could see my Linux partition and cd around...

here is the process I used and I am now in need of further expertise:
- after reading the /etc/module file I heeded its warning and didn't try to edit it directly
- so without too much in between detail I'll cut to the chase:
	- I ended up deleting two obvious netatalk dirs by hand
- I rebooted and the system crashed when it tried to set up Appletalk services
	- went back into 'old single' mode and
- I tried to modprobe -r Appletalk but it didn't work...no errors or warnings...
	- I went in and removed two files from the kernal:
		- appletalk.ko
		- ipddp.ko
- when I rebooted everything seemed to be OK although it still tried to set up services for Appletalk but timed out and booted OK - meaning all my settings and most of the software seemed to work OK (Firefox, Evolution, Open Office, Synaptic Package manager, and most of the system applets seemed fine on cursory examination)
- so my questions are now:
- should I replace the two appletalk .ko files I removed? if so, how? from the source of the kernel? or is there some other way to fix this? - now that I removed the two (most likely culprits) netatalk dirs this has now created a problem with the package manager i.e. it can't remove the package but it sees that some of the bits are still there...how would I use 'apt-get' to correct this situation? will it remove partial packages? if not what utility would handle this? - is there a rescue package for handling this sort of muck up that I can use for correcting things?

any help is much appreciated! :)
KIM