Re: disabling DRC range

> In laymen terms (myself being the laymen), dynamic range control is a way to control the
> loudness dynamically.
>
> An example will clarify...
>
> You are watching a movie and most of the dialect is soft spoken so you have the volume
> raised fairly high. On occasion there are massive gun fights and because the volume is so
> loud, the gun fights are unbearably loud.
>
> With DRC this would be adjusted dynamically so that the two were seemingly within the same
> range of volume.
>
> You can read more about it for in depth explanations but that's the basic gist.

I guess what we're talking about is a compressor.  It would be easier if
uniform language were used.

I had a compressor/sustainer special effects pedal that did this same
effect (on guitar).  What it did is chop off the peaks and lows so as to
give a uniform level.  Always wanted to try it on a bass, as the dynamic
range between the low E and G always bothered me (I'd go back and
forth), but never got rid of it before trying it on bass.

I imagine the compressor part is what does the levelling off.