Re: Japanese Input on Sarge/KDE

Am Sonntag, 13. Februar 2005 23.56 schrieb Dylan Beaudette:
> Hi everyone.
>
> In the past I have been able to get a working japaese input system with
> canna-server and kinput2.
>
> i start the input environment with a little script:
> export LANG=ja_JP
> kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &
> uxterm&

I cannot comment on Japanese. But as my wife is from Korea we often do a
smilar trick for e.g. a konquerer. My scripts looks like:
#! /bin/bash
export XMODIFIERS=@im=Ami
export LC_CTYPE=ko_KR.eucKR
export LANG=ko_KR.eucKR
ami &
kmail
> from the uxterm i can start typing in japanese by first pressing
> "shift+space". in the past any KDE application started from this uxterm
> would allow me to input japanes into a text field by first pressing
> "shift+space"... A couple of months ago this stopped working. Could there
> be something that has changed since then?
>
> Also, i was advised to add the following to my .xinitrc:
> export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2
> however i am not really sure what this is doing..
It tells the X server that it should use kinput2 as its Input Manager.
However, if you are using KDE your .xinitrc will not be executed. So in my
case I added the corresponding entry for AMI in my script.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

--
Niklaus Giger