Re: where's tfm?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:00:40AM -0600, vinai wrote:
> I just set up an 8600 at home with the sole purpose of playing around
> with multimedia stuff on it.  I'm actually quite willing to spend some
> time to try to get the control video device working if it means I could
> recover one of my PCI slots (the one in question, currently occupied by
> an ATI Mach 64 card).

Even at it's theoretical performance limits, the control chip can't do
everything the mach64 chip does. However, it should be possible to have
better raw bandwidth into VRAM compared to a PCI card. It's worth a try.

> I have no device driver programming experience, but I've programmed with
> C for the last few years, and am quite willing to learn here, if some of
> the more knowledgeable folks are willing to answer sticky questions when
> they come up ;-)  Even it means going back to Mac OS classic and taking
> apart system extensions, etc, I'm willing to give it a go ...

I'm sure we'll all do what we can to help. If you're serious about taking
apart mac drivers, you may also get good info out of the 68k mac efforts.

> So here are my first couple of questions.  I had "testing" on this mac
> but I'm quite willing to wipe the install and start from scratch - and I
> probably will, just to test out the new installer...  But if I do kernel
> work and I have questions, what sources would be the best to use ?  And
> how would I get these sources ?

These days, the official source from kernel.org is pretty good for ppc.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com