Re: difference in maximum color depth in Debian vs Mac OS?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:01:40AM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Well spotted. I also don't know enough about this issue. I just
> wanted to know if I was the only one getting frustrated by
> this this problem ...
>
> BTW is this problem only seen on platinumb fb devices? How
> is this vram check done for other devices?

I don't remember having any trouble with any of my boxes, but I
don't think I have anything that is restricted by VRAM. The
closest is my 7600 for which I have the full 4M VRAM upgrade. It
uses controlfb, which seems to have similar code, but with a
different formula. The formula there seems to be this one:

VRAM=ROUND32(xres)*ROUND32(yres)*bpp + 16

The odd thing is that I know someone mentioned that the hardware
cursor is someplace in VRAM, and I'm pretty sure it's bigger than
16 pixels.

Other drivers seem to have similar checks to see if a particular
mode fits in VRAM, with slightly different amounts added in either
for each line or for the total.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com