powerbook startup problem - folder with a question mark ???

"For the last week or so, when I start the machine instead of having
the yaboot screen appears I get a little folder with a question mark
inside...  This doesn't happen every time I start the machine."

I've had this same problem.  I solved it by reseting pram.
This is mentioned below.  Apple would have u repair the install before
this too so maybe you could fsck, but journaling should have deprecated
this procedure even for OS X.  After, rerun ybin.

"Reset parameter RAM (PRAM).

        Reset PRAM, then see if the computer starts up. If it doesn't,
        Repeat step 2.

     4. Troubleshoot SCSI devices (if you have them):

        Improper SCSI configuration, termination, or cabling may cause
        this symptom. Follow these steps:

             a. Shut down the computer.
             b. Turn off all connected devices.
             c. Completely disconnect the SCSI chain from your computer.
                If you have installed a third-party SCSI card, take it
                out of the computer.
             d. Start up the computer.

     5. If none of these steps resolved the issue, start up from the Mac
        OS X Installation CD and reinstall Mac OS X. If your hard disk
        is not available (mounted) when started up from CD, contact an
        Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Technical Support. "