Re: cdrecord a bootable cd

"Mauricio Hernandez Z." <mhz@tecnocimiento.cl> writes:

> William Xuuu (william_xuuu@163.com) wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anybody knows how to burn a bootable cd using cdrecord ? With a simple
>> command `cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 boot.iso' , i'm able to burn a cd with
>> exact same data in boot.iso, but i can't boot from it. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> William
>
> Maybe I may have not understood correctly your question but...
>
> AFAIK, there's nothing special about it, just need to make sure the ISO is in
> fact bootable.
> If so,
>
> 1) get the device
> $ cdrecord --scanbus
>
> 2) burn the iso (my case dev=0,1,0)
> $ cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 fs=16m speed=4 the_file.iso
>
> That will work at least for kernel 2.4.x

So, nothing special in recording a bootable cd. Hmm, then why can't i boot
it ? the ISO is definitely bootable. I have `enablecdboot' in yaboot.conf,
and select that while booting, it seems to try to boot from cd-rom, but
falls back to the menu after a while. My linux kernel is 2.6.9.

by the way, i installed the base system using this ISO:

http://penguinppc.org/~eb/files/boot-new-powermac-xfs.iso

which recognized hda as hdc, see this:

# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc
        #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
/dev/hdc1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hdc2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 64       (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hdc3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 260544 @ 1664     (127.2M)  Linux swap
/dev/hdc4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               12311320 @ 262208   (  5.9G)  Linux native
/dev/hdc5               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_6 14180272 @ 12573528 (  6.8G)  HFS
/dev/hdc6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 source             31851320 @ 26753800 ( 15.2G)  Linux native

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=58605120
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

--
William