Help a Newbie Config XWindows

I am a newbie when it comes to Debian linux (installed a dual-boot
system with Mac OS X), but I thought I knew a thing or two about
XWindows, since I had XFree86 running on the Mac side. The Linux
version is much more difficult to configure.

When debian boots, it says it cannot start XWindows, because it cannot
find file "X" in /usr/X11R6/bin -- sure enough, it's not there. The
XFree86 manual says my xstart script should point to XF86_SVGA, but
there is no such critter on my system.

Two questions: what files need to be edited and where should they be
located for the system to find them?

Thanks.

Ed