Re: Kernel Quest, need pointers to a HOWTO for patching

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:32:12AM +0100, christian funk wrote:
> I need to compile a custom kernel foran oldworld pmac. I've looked at
> every man page, mailing list and HOWTO I could find, but some things
> remain a complete fog!
>
> 1) Do I need to patch the kernel-sources I get via dselect
> (kernel-source-2.4.18-14.1)?  I was under the impression that the
> kernel-sources I get via dselect already provide for the ppc
> architectures.  However dselect offeres me a
> kernel-patch-2.4.18-powerpc. Is the Patch only for kernels I get from
> other sources?

Please don't, use the 2.4.22-powerpc-small kernel as a base. This one
can be found in sarge/sid, but should work as well for you.

The best way of doing this is to :

  # apt-get source kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc

and build that with dpkg-buildpackage.

> 2) If I do need to patch my source for ppc, how do I do it, and which
> one should I use? It seems I have the option to get a kernel form
> kernel.org and a Benh patch, or use the packages supplied via deselect.
> The dselect patch leaves no instructions I could find, nor could I find
> a HOWTO for the Benh patch. Is one of the two methods "better"?

Simply use the above kernels, should be ok for oldworld. They include
the linuxppc_2.4 changes, plus a bunch of debian fixes.

Also, i would be interested in the reasons for you doing a custom
kernel, and why the prebuilt one is not ok for you.

> 3) I need to apply a second patch
> (bridge-nf-0.0.7-against-2.4.18.diff). This worked fine the first time
> it tried, but that was to the unpatched source I got via dselect. Is
> there an specific order I need to patch in, e.g. ppc patch first bridge
> patch second?

Might be problematic. But please use a bit more modern packages.

> 4) Anyone know a good HOWTO or other source, where I can read up on
> doing all this stuff "the Debian way". I have the strong impression
> that the Debian way is much better, but most information I read only
> explains how to do it in other distributions. Doing the transition to
> Debian is very difficult, if your just getting started...

The make-kpkg documentation ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther