Re: latest kernel for pmac 7200

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 09:34:39PM -0300, Rolando Abarca wrote:
> what's the latest kernel that will work with BootX & 7200?. I tried
> several of the 2.4.x family (I was hoping to install sarge and then update
> to 2.6) but all with the same result: a black screen after pressing the
> linux button in BootX. I've installed linux before in this same machine,
> but with older kernels (2.2). I'm using the on-board video.
> (btw, I'm using the sarge ram disk)

Could you please try the kernel provided by the
kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-small package ? This one was particularly
tailored to work with miboot and fit on a floppy and be used by oldworld
pmac machines.

It has recently been tested on a pmac 8500 i think, but more tests and
fine tuning are needed to offer proper support for it in both the
upcoming sarge release, and debian-installer.

Friendly,

Sven Luther