weird console cursor behaviour && console, gpm, and kernel 2.6.9

Hi,

I noticed some things about the console cursor behaviour
that looked weird to me.

- When I boot up the system the cursor looks slow. What I
  mean is that when I use the directional keys (<-, ->,
  ...) the speed at which the cursor change position looks
  slow.

  But after the first time I start the X server, once I go
  back to the console, the cursor seems to get a lot
  faster.

  Is there any way to make it go fast since the beginning?

- If I open a program such as alsamixer or mutt, I switch
  to the X server and I go back to the console, then the
  cursor disappears from the other terminals (the ones I
  use, for example, for bash or vim) and reappears once
  again after I quit that program.

  I don't know if it's relevant but I usually run these
  kind of programs inside of `screen'.

- On my iBook, if I have the caps lock turned on and I
  accidentally switch to the X server, then capitalization
  get messed up. (Who said "capitalism" works for all? :D)

  What I mean is that in the X server, even if the caps
  lock was turned on while in console, keys aren't
  capitalized and if I turn the caps lock off while in the
  X server, they aren't capitalized in console no more.

  In order to try to change the situation back I usually
  switch to the console and back over and over again
  pressing the caps lock key randomly.

  Is there a way to prevent the capitalization to get
  messed up?

- If I boot up the system with a 2.6.9 Linux kernel, the
  console seems to run at 16 colors and the characters I
  pass on with the gpm mouse cursor disappear instead of
  getting hilighted.

  Is there a way to configure the kernel in such a way
  that those characters don't disappear?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
--
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
``Don't bother us with politics,'' respond those who don't

 -- Richard M. Stallman
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html