Re: Powerbooks in Firewire mode

According to Michael Schmitz, on Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:30:01 +0100 (CET),

>> >That's the plan. You won't be able to do a raw copy (image copy of the
>> >whole disk or single partitions) that way, just acces the filesystem as
>> >normally. I'm pretty sure 'filesystem' is limited to what OF knows about,
>> >so no Linux ext2/ext3 copying.
>> >

>> Actually, I used the firewire mode for a last minute backup and my ibook was exactly
>seen> as any firewire disk. I could access all the partition (hfs, ufs or ext2/3) and
>mount> them. In this mode, the ibook is a kind of big USB key ;)
>
>Good to hear from someone who's actually used this. I stand corrected.
>
>Is there a 'raw whole disk' way of access as well (should be if it's
>really a big USB storage device)?

If I remember well, I used a fdisk /dev/sda to retrieve the partitions list, and then a
mount /dev/sda<whatever>. I've just followed exactly the "HowTo" of sbp2 devices and it
worked. So I think the answer to your question is yes.

The funny thing is that the firewire mode is one of the last thing that standed when my
ibook broke its motherboard (second time)... And it was stable enough to backup ~10Go.

--
Cedric Pradalier