Re: Apt-installed kernel-image-2.6.8-power4 will not boot a PowerMac G4!!

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:14:28 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (29/09/04 18:11), Sebastian Tennant wrote:
>> I've been tracking testing with Ethan Benson's stable-ish 2.4.18-newpmac for
>> several months now and discovered quite early on that any version of yaboot
>> newer than the proposed-update version, (I can't access the actual version
>> number at the moment), would report that my kernel is too old for
>> proper support and that Open Firmware may not not detect my boot device
>> correctly.  Sure enough, this was the case, so I pinned yaboot at the
>> proposed update version and was able to run ybin as often as I liked to
>> add and remove image labels without any problems whatsoever. That was
>> with stock 2.4 kernels.  I have since decided to upgrade to 2.6.6 or 2.6.8
>> and have had NO JOY booting up with either. I thought perhaps it might be
>> because of my old version of yaboot but I have upgraded it, run ybin,
>> received the same warning message as before and continued to be unable to
>> boot 2.6 kernels per se.
[...]
>> Could it be that the newer yaboot needs to be run _by_ a newer kernel,
>> before a newer kernel can be run at boot-time?  Now there's a catch-22
>> situation if ever I heard of one?

Jens has pointed out that power4 kernels are for G5s and the like, which makes
me feel a little foolish!  No matter. It's not the first time :-)

I still think the yaboot version issue is going to cause problems so I'm going
approach it thus:

Apt-purge-remove power4 kernel, apt-install correct 2.6.8 kernel!
Run latest version of yabootconfig.
"Kernel (2.4.18) too old ..." (No change there.)
(Check yaboot.conf...
    Symlinks take care of kernel image switch.
    Boot device identified as 'ultra2:' - should be 'hd:' - leaving alone
    though. Boot and root partition correct.)
Reboot...

Nada.
Brief glimse of OSX folder icon and grey screen hang. No yaboot.
Power down. Power up.  Boot from CD. Boot into 2.4.18 kernel again.
Change 'ultra2:' to 'hd:' in yaboot.conf. Run ybin (latest version).
    [Noticed that initrd=8192.  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-... is ~ 5MB.
     Fine if 8192 refers to KBs]
Reboot...

Nada.
Brief glimse of OSX folder icon and grey screen hang. No yaboot.
Power down. Power up.  Boot from CD. Boot into 2.4.18 kernel again.
Leave yaboot.conf as it is and run _old version_ of ybin.
Realise that it is _ofpath_ that is describing the boot device!  Doh!
    [Didn't make copy of old ofpath.]
Apt-purge-remove (new) yaboot.  Apt-install proposed-updates (old) version.
yaboot.conf still as it was. Run _old version_ of ybin (and ofpath).
Reboot...

Success!!! Well, progress!
Sailed through yaboot, straight to new kernel, much quicker boot time, but...
No keyboard. Not even garbage.  Cannot login :-/
Power down.

Now what? Kernel keyboard map needs to be passed as a boot parameter somehow.
Can be done from yaboot boot prompt on the CD.  What to write though, for an
Apple Pro keyboard?  Never got this right in the first place?

> FWIW I'm running 2.6.7-powerpc-smp on my sid box, upgraded from 2.4.18 using
> aptitude.  I seem to recall I had to get a later version of yaboot at the
> time (it was a while ago) and the current version I'm using is 1.3.13-2.
> Perhaps you shoud try installing a stock powerpc kernel and see if that
> boots?

The old yaboot (or more specifically ofpath) appears to be the only version
that works for me.

sebyte

--
A simple follow-up will usually do.