iPod mount: Re: hfs+ fs with linux - only ro after some time error

hi,

i just got a new iPod, and have been happily mounting and unmounting
it on my debian box (x86) with the mount command all morning.
however, it suddenly stopped working read-write, saying in the logs:

HFS+-fs warning: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, running
fsck.hfsplus is recommended.  mounting read-only.

googling, i turned up this thread on this list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/08/msg00324.html

it seems that i want to use hpmount and hpumount to mount and unmount
the iPod now (that's kind of weird, but okay).  but maybe i'm
misunderstanding how it works.  when i say:

homeruns:~# hpmount /dev/sda /mnt/ipod

i get:

hpmount: /dev/sda: Neither Wrapper nor native HFS+ volume header found
(Unknown error 4294967295)

it should be /dev/sda (but it likes to hop around a bit, i've seen),
and /dev/sdb yields the following error:

hpmount: /dev/sdb: error opening medium (No such device or address)

so, i'm not sure what is going on with /dev/sda ... am i doing
something wrong?

(note: please CC me, as i'm not subscribed.  thanks!)

thanks a lot,

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++