Re: Oldworld Serial Console

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:39:24 -0400
Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Q: How many support techs does it take to change a lightbulb?
> A: Well, it works fine on this end... LOL :-)

OK, wasn't so useful, I admit ;-)

> Can you send the list some kind of quick, "here's exactly what all of
> my settings are"? That way when I search for this again, someone will
> have something useful for me to find! I've searched and searched and
> searched, and here I am, asking questions.

I don't have the *exact* settings here at work, but I'll send them to
the list when I get home. However, here are the required
steps, as I see it:

1. Get OF to put its console on the serial port : set 'input-device' and
'output-device' to 'ttya' or 'ttyb' (i *think* the OF names for serial
ports don't change very much between machines)

2. Get the kernel to talk to the serial port : compile it with the
mentioned options, and add a corresponding command line parameter,
e.g console=ttyS0,38400..., as said before

3. Get init to talk to the serial port : I didn't got this right -- I
still don't have the output of rc scripts on my serial console (If you
get this right I'll be happy to know).

4. If you want to be able to log in via serial, edit /etc/inittab to
have getty serving the serial port : there already is a commented line
in the file, you just have to uncomment it and edit to your taste.

5. Get a terminal emulator on the other end (minicom, can't think of
others but I'm sure there are plenty), and configure it to listen at the
same speed on your serial port. As I said, I use 38400 bauds, 8n1 and
xon/xoff.

> So the internal modem has to come out?
Do you have only one 8-pin serial port at the back of your G3 ?

> Or is this something I can go into OF and change? The problem is that
> the output-device in OF won't be /dev/ttyS1 or whatever.

Yes you can : serial ports are 'ttya' and 'ttyb' in OF, at least on
oldworld machines AFAIK. I have ttya == /dev/ttyS0 == 'modem' port and
ttyb == /dev/ttyS1 == 'printer' port.

HTH,
Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header above only