Re: How to boot w/o initrd?

'ello,

Thanks very much for the info, however I am having some problems getting
it to work...

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 16:54, Deidre Nair wrote:
> hd:<patition number>,/boot/vmlinux.old root=/dev/hda4 initrd=initrd.old ro

I tried /boot/vmlinux.old root=/dev/hda2 initrd=initrd.old ro.  I also
tried root=/dev/discs/disc0/part2 as that is the DevFS version of the
root paramater you suggested.

It starts off OK but panics when it gets to mounting the root device.
It always says "cannot open root device hda2 or unknown-block(0,0)".

(This is similar to what d-i says when I try to mount it from the shell
in the installer (mount says "no such device /dev/discs/disc0/part2").)

But I _know_ that it does exist because mac-fdisk shows it as a Linux
partition.  I have only 2 Linux partitions (one for /tmp and one for /)
and by the sizes of them I know that hda2 is the right one for /.

If I try booting my new kernel it doesn't even get to the penguin logo.
It gets to the screen "Welcome to Linux 2.6.8" but hangs after "openpic:
exit".

Any further ideas/help would be much appreciated :-).

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>