Re: Kernel 2.6.8-powerpc problems (cdrom, battery notification, dhclient)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:19:41PM -0500, Mannequin* wrote:

> > Could you fill a bug report against hotplug/discover or both about this ?
>
> I don't have discover installed. Is there a need to have it installed, or is it
> just hotplug's "competitor?" I will do a bug report when if I don't need
> discover.

Well, they mostly work together to cover each others blank points at this
point, and furthermore there is discover (2) and discover1 to further muddle
the water. Could you try installing discover1 and reboot to see if it solves
your problem.

Notice also that a clean install of sarge adds :

  ide-cd
  ide-detect

to /etc/modules.

> > Please fill a bug report against hotplug.
>
> Uh, this is very close to bug report #248433, the user was using kernel 2.6.5,
> and they told him not to hold his breath:
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=248433>
>
> Is this in any way different from that?

Please fill a followup, to know the problem is still alive.

And add a note that the d-i people have somehow worked around this issue.

> > > The stock 2.6.7 didn't work, but I added apm_emu to /etc/modules, as Matijs
> > > van Zuijlen and you directed me to and it comes up at boot now.
> >
> > Could you try 2.6.8 and fill a bug report against hotplug/discover ? I don't
> > really know which one is in charge, maybe you should fill the bug report at
> > kernel and let us triage it correctly.
>
> I want to be clear on this, you want me to file a bug report against both the
> kernel (2.6.8) and hotplug?

Well, it is definitively not a kernel issue, but i was suggesting you fill one
at the kernel, and then let us reassign it to the correct hotplug/discover
folk.

Friendly,

Sven Luther