Linux kernel image 2.6.8 and unwanted modules and hot keyboard

Hi,

  I run Debian sid on an older model iBook Special Edition (the toilet seat).
I recently upgraded my kernel-image from kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc to
kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc. Everything has gone really smoothly, but I have
two questions. How do I prevent unwanted modules from being loaded on boot
and does anyone else see the system get really hot after closing the lid for
a while (8 hours or so)?

I added the following lines to /etc/yaboot.conf to allow me to switch back and
forth:

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc
        label=Linux-2.6.8
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc
        label=Linux-2.4.25
        read-only

So I noticed was that there are a lot of kernel modules and daemons for things
I won't use (such as jfs and its [jfsIO], [jfsCommit], and [jfsSync]
processes).

What's the best way to disable these modules? modconf will let me remove the
kernel modules (I assume via rmmod underneath) but on reboot, the modules are
inserted again. It seems that /etc/modules is no longer used for 2.6 kernels.
BTW, I don't currently have discover installed, but I will if that's the new
way exclude modules.

And has anyone else noticed that the wristrest part of the system gets hot
after a long hibernation? I see in /var/log/XFree86.0.log this warning:
"Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)". Does anyone else get
this?

Frank