Re: Loading problem

Hi,

Volodymyr Podosinov writes:

> > On PReP, the boot arguments are part of the kernel image.  Rebuild
> > your kernel with CONFIG_CMDLINE set appropriately.  Alternatively, use
> > preptool, but that requires patching and rebuilding the kernel as
> > well.

> Wait, basically you say that I need to recompile the whole kernel.

Unfortunately, yes.

That said, the above-mentioned patch might be nice to have in the
Debian kernel.  Unfortunately, nobody bothered to submit it upstream
yet.  What's more, the latest version applies against 2.4.22, and some
of the stuff it touches has been moved around since then.  If anybody
with a little knowledge of PowerPC assembler feels like forward
porting this:

<URL:http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/2.4.22/010-boot-args.diff>

to 2.6.7, please get in touch.

> If that is the case, I need some help, cause I ma kinda a noob in
> this.  I mean what file do I need to change and what is the whole
> process step by step?

In order to do it the Debian way, you need to install kernel-package
and kernel-tree-<version>.  Probably the PowerPC kernel-patch package
is also a good idea, especially if you are still running 2.4.  Unpack
the tarball /usr/src/kernel-source-<version>.tar.bz2, change into the
resulting directory, optionally copy a kernel config file there as
.config, run 'make-kpkg --config=menu kernel-image'.  This will give
you a .deb file that you can install.

There are also a couple of good kernel-package howtos out there.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!