Re: Radeon 9600 dual head and XF86Config on PB G4 15"

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 19:25 +0200, Peter Henseler wrote:

> I just tried to get an external monitor running on my Alu Powerbook 15" (kernel
> version 2.6.7) with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. Therefore I added in the
> XF86Config-4 file extra Device, Screen and Monitor sections and the xinerama
> option to the ServerLayout section. The screen of my Powerbook gets initialized
> properly. But on the second screen I just get the PROM init on a white
> background.

[...]

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Radeon 9600"
> 	Driver		"radeon"
> 	Screen		0
> 	Option		"CloneDisplay"	"1"
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:16:0"
> 	Option		"CloneMode" "1280x1024 1024x768"
> 	Option		"UseFBDev"	"True"
> 	Option		"AGPFastWrite"	"True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Radeon 9600 Card1"
> 	Driver		"radeon"
> 	Screen		1
> 	BusID		"PCI:0:16:0"
> 	Option		"CloneMode" "1280x1024 1024x768"
> 	Option		"UseFBDev"	"True"
> 	Option		"AGPFastWrite"	"True"
> EndSection

As you use Option "UseFBDev" in both device sections, the radeon driver
uses /dev/fb0 for both heads, which only drives the internal panel
though, so it's no surprise the external head doesn't work with it.
Moreover, as I've said way too many times before, Option "UseFBDev"
causes the behaviour of the external head to be undefined even when it's
only used for the internal head.