Re: PPC subarches

Ross Vumbaca wrote:
Hi,

Sven Luther wrote:

The a1boot loader (which we call "SLB") makes use of GPL code for the ext2/3 reading routines (taken from GRUB), so it will be GPL'd too.

Cool. So i could try porting it to the pegasos ?

What is the point of that? It's written for UBoot firmware, don't you have Yaboot?

To clarify that, the a1bootloader isn't just using routines from GRUB, it is based around the same idea. It's a kind of GRUB for UBoot, currently only useful if you use RDB partition maps, but technically you can stuff it into an MBR as well. It isn't very useful without UBoot, though ;-)

A bootloader needs to be EXECUTED (no, not as in shot :-P ) to be useful. UBoot knows how to find it and jump in, the Pegasos OF wouldn't have a clue. Use Yaboot. Of course, if you have access to the OF source and can stuff in a few bits of code from UBoot... ;-)

Actually it's even smarter than GRUB, because it understands both Amiga and Linux filesystems, and will merge the two menues together (afaik) so you only need to edit the OS' own menu file to update one of them. Add a Linux kernel, have Debian edit the Linux menu file. Add a new OS4 kernel, have Installer edit the AmigaOS menu file. A lot more flexible than my dual-boots on x86, at least :-)

Ole-Egil

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/