Re: AmigaONE && Debian (unstable?)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Sven Luther wrote:

> Also notice that powerpc is phasing out the 2.4.x kernels in favor of the
> 2.6.x ones, which will be installable by default, so if you would be able to
> forward patch those, it would be really great, and we may even consider adding
> them to the debian kernel package, altough i fear what Christoph will have to
> say from a 1.8MB patch. Is all this really necessary ?

 For 2.6 I'm down to about 200KB, which I think includes some of the
original A1 files that I'm not using (e.g. _time merged into _setup as a
preliminary to using todc_time).  This is without e.g. the floppy stuff
and the so-called dma fixes.  If it can be made to work, I guess 200KB
or less (which is still rather a lot).

> Bah, please don't go the same way this happened last year, and have a thought
> at providing the packages back upstream, altough i believe it may well be too
> late for the sarge release by now, at least for debian-installer which is very
> near the release.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

 Agreed, if it doesn't eventually get merged then it isn't worth doing.

 I've heard the people at mai are issuing a binary 2.6.6 to their
testers, whoever they might be, but they aren't exactly communicative.
My own attempts on 2.6.7 are at a very early stage and have certain
difficulties (page-up in 'less' locks it, coming out of X gives a
non-legible screen, and the rtc stuff isn't working properly yet).

 But then, I was never cut out to be a kernel hacker.  Looks like I'm
unlikely to get back to 2.6 before September, unfortunately.

Ken