Re: pmud & pbbuttonsd confilct in sarge-testing ?

Am Dienstag, 6. Juli 2004 10:40 schrieb Michael Schmitz:

> You obviously chose to misunderstand me :-) What I mean is pbbuttonsd with
> the powermanagement related guts ripped out, essentially. Your package
> merges powermanagement and other, unrelated event handling. Next, we'll
> have emacs all wrapped into pbbuttonsd ...

There is no chance to integrate emacs into pbbuttonsd :-)

I don't agree that pbbuttonsd should be split up into a powermanagement and an
event part. Powermanagement is a complex thing and most of the event handling
in pbbuttonsd will be used to reduce power consumption. Even If you split up
the functionallity the programs need to work together like they already do
under the cover of pbbuttonsd. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible for the
powermanagement part for example to reduce backlight brightness or switch the
screen off because the event handler don't know of the old brightness and
wouldn't be able to restore the old brightness if the user use the brightness
hotkeys. You might try to handle this with a whole bunch of shell scripts but
I doubt that this solution would be better than pbbuttonsd.

On the other hand I don't want to convince to whole community to use
pbbuttonsd. The only thing I can do is to answer questions, help to solve
problems and publish the advantages. Everything else is up to you.

> BTW, the 'event handling with no power management' would be nice for
> desktop machines that can't use power management - does compatibility mode
> fully disable powermanagement in pbbuttonsd, or do you check for pmud
> running and take over power management anyway if no pmud is found?

Compatibility mode means that all functions handled by pmud will be disabled
in pbbuttonsd. This are mainly the cover management (close/open events) and
suspend-to-ram. Everything else is done by pbbuttonsd. This must be paid with
some disadvantages. For example pmud doesn't save the keyboard settings
before triggering sleep. They are lost after wakeup and must be reset by
external programs.Pbbuttonsd takes care of this.

  Best Regards
   Matthias