Re: Test-DFS for PowerPC

Hello!

[Sat, 05 Jun 2004] Sven Luther wrote:
> Robert, could you please add the code to generate the non pmac images
> also ? You need :
>
>   1) access to the vmlinux kernel (i suppose you get it from the
>   kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc, right ?).
>   2) access to the initrd.
>   3) access to /usr/lib/kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc content.

If I'm interpreting "access" correctly, then this is done. dfsbuild just
takes a kernel-image package and unpacks it. Just feed it with another
package.

>   4) install mkvmlinuz (from the unstable mkvmlinuz package).

Your mean, dfsbuild should depend on mkvmlinux (for building the image), right?

>   5) mkvmlinuz -a chrp -o dfs_kernel-chrp -k /path/to/kernel/vmlinux-2.6.6-powerpc \
>   	-d /usr/lib/kernel-image-2.6.6-powerpc -i /path/to/initrd
>   6) move dfs_kernel-chrp to the boot dir.
>
> And voila, you have a booting chrp and chrp-rs6k kernel.
>
> (Well, provided the initrd includes the necessary modules for it
> naturally.).

So something like:

    run "mkvmlinuz" ["-v"; "-a"; "chrp";
      "-o"; target ^ "/boot/" ^ (Filename.basename kern) ^ "-chrp";
      "-k"; kern;
      "-d"; target ^ "/usr/lib/kernel-image-" ^ version;
      "-i"; "/opt/dfsruntime/initrd.dfs"];

should work, right? How is /usr/lib/kernel-image-version generated?

> Also, do you have also the sources of the modified powerpc packages ?

What packages? The kernel is the Debian kernel. The Config is on the image.

> And finally, i have 0.6.4-rj3, and it refuses to boot on my ibook,
> either by using the c key or by launching yaboot from the OF. IT speaks
> about MAC-PART or something such not finding a filesystem.

I'm trying to fix that. Although I have no direct idea why this doesnt
work.

[Mon, 07 Jun 2004] Sven Luther wrote:
> Yeah, directly copied from your other mail. I had trouble finding the
> back-/ at first, as it seems to be inexistant on french mac keyboards, ,
> but then i noticed that the OF is in qwerty layout anyway :)

So you'd say it's a problem with mkisofs options?

> Why not add those modules to the initrd and have it loaded, like the
> mkinitrd generated initrd does ? Indeed it should even be possible to
> use mkinitrd for this purpose, and add an own startup script or
> something such. Not sure how mkinitrd would take to having ocaml
> programs (or scripts) though, but i have the feeling that it should make
> no difference.

Yes. As I mentioned in another mail, I'd like to extend the initrd
until we can use standard Debian kernels.

        Robert.

--
UNIX enhancements aren't.