Re: AmigaONE && Debian (unstable?)

> The firmware is U-Boot, so the kernel needs a bit of patching. Most of
> the guys working on the Linux kernel got tied up in writing stuff for
> AmigaOS4. It seems to me that unless one happens to be IBM or one of the
> other big players getting more than a few lines into any of the places
> you mention is quite an undertaking :-(

Nah, it shouldbn't be that bad. Also, I've proposed them in the past to
deal with it if they sent me a board, but they have been trying to
bullshit me into buying the board from them and them paying me back
based on time spent or some kind of crappy agreement where I would have
been fucked in the end, so I'm not eager to help on this one.

> U-Boot comes with a tool that does more or less the same as mkvmlinuz,
> called mkimage (takes in an elf and an optional ramdisk image and
> outputs a bootable image)

That's crap. Fine for embedded maybe, but it should really be able to
load a plain vmlinux.

> Things I know that needs a patch:
>
> kernel-package (subarch in script plus new config-file. I've been using
> kernel-package on this subarch for almost a year, so this _shouldn't_ be
> difficult to implement ;-) )
>
> kernel-patch-powerpc (unfortunately, we don't have anything later than
> 2.4.22 at the moment. Trying to follow the kernel development with a
> small team and no inside contacts feels like ice skating uphill)

I maintain the port to the whole PowerMac line alone. Bullshit.

> So the question basically boils down to this:
> Where is the right place to START?

The right place to start is to dig out the kernel patches, port them to
2.6 and submit them to me or paulus (if possible via linuxppc-dev
mailing list) for review and possible merge upstream.

Ben.