Re: Debian and X-Windows

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 20:37, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2004 18:40, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> > According to Ed Sutherland, on Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:27:16 +0000,
>
> > >I tried localhost:631 from Konqueror and Lynx...both no-go. Lynx
> > >reports "Unable to connect to remote host." Konqueror says "Error while
> >
> > There is some permission to set in /etc/cups.conf, in order to have
>
> Yes. I thought CUPS was already installed - the reason the errors threw me. I
> did 'apt-get install cupsys' and adding a printer became a simple process.
>
> On the subject of printing: which printing system provides me the most
> flexibility? CUPS is the easiest to configure and use. The lpr option allowed
> me to set the output to greyscale (perfect since I mostly print text) and
> draftmode. Printing from the console allows me to specify page headers and
> other information. Is there a way to bring all those options into CUPS?
> Thanks.

You're probably looking for the cupsys-bsd package: it provides lpr for
use with CUPS.  If you use KDE, then the printing system integrates very
nicely with CUPS, and you can probably set all of those options from
their interface.  After adding the printer in CUPS you should be able to
configure it to do all of the options you mentioned.  CUPS is quite
nice.

Lakin