Dual display with Gnome 2.4

Hi,

I've an Aluminium Powerbook G4 with a 15" display and an ATI Mobility
Radeon 9600 graphic card. It works properly right now, buy I decided to
become entangled in the configuration of a second screen as dual
display. My second screen is a 17" Philips 170B2T with a maximum
resolution of 1280x1024, while the resolution of the powerbook's screen
is set to 1280x854. I've tried a XF86Config-4 file based on John Leach's
one (http://www.johnleach.co.uk/documents/powerpc/), but although the
powerbook's screen works properly, the second display prefers to show an
awful lot of lines. After some attempts I've reached to discern
something that resembles to icons and the cursor but nothing else. I
suspect that the second display doesn't really work at 1280x1024.

I would appreciate if somebody can help me.

Here's my XF86Config-4:

# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X server configuration file) generated by
dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades
*only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
xserver-xfree86
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 > /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen 0        "Default Screen" 0 0
#       Screen 1        "Phil170B2T"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"                    # local font
server
        # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on
these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "es"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Radeon 9600 Mobile"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
        Option          "AGPMode"               "4"
        Option          "AGPFastWrite"          "true"
        Option          "EnableDepthMoves"      "true"
        Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "true"
        Option          "NoBackBuffer"          "false"
        Option          "NoAccel"               "false"
        Option          "SWcursor"              "false"
        Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
        Option          "DDCMode"               "true"
        Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Mode "1280x854"
                DotClock        79.816
                HTimings        1280 1296 1408 1536
                VTimings        854 855 858 866
                Flags   "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Radeon 9600 Mobile"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x854"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x854"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Thanks in advance.

Vicente Herranz Pérez <v.herranz@wanadoo.es>

GnuPG keyID: 642E4925 available at http://pgp.mit.edu
Fingerprint: AA90 A578 0C5B D06B FCED  794A 0663 9642 642E 4925