Re: pmud problem: No Sleep support on this hardware, exiting!

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 03:49, Domingo Fiesta Segura wrote:
> El Thursday 26 February 2004 09:04, Fleny68 escribió:
> > Apple's sleep is not opensourced in darwin?
>
> Not now, but they used to be before. That is what Ben says.

Nah, what is in Darwin is the necessary low level bits to get the
motherboard to sleep & back up. Though we did figure it out in the
past without darwin's help, the darwin code has been useful for
more recent machines.

The problem with newer laptops is the video chip. That has never
been part of darwin. This is what prevents me from sleeping desktops
as well, or those nvidia iMacs. On all these machines, the video chip
is shutdown during sleep, we need code to power it back up from
scratch. It's not simple, it's probably undreds of magic values to
blast in specific non documented chip registers in the right sequence,
difficult to do without some support from ATI... Or a way to re-run
the OF f-code driver.

For earlier laptops, the chip was put in D2 state (unclocked) which
was easier to deal with. For M6/M7/M9 style chips, there is still
a lot to do to get it right, but ATI was kind enough to provide me
with the necessary code. There is some hope that they may do the same
for the M10 used in the recent models. There is little or no hope
for nVidia based machines.

Ben.