compiler flags

Hello everybody,

MySQL will soon provide precompiled packages for PowerPC as well.
I think they will provide tgz for MySQL 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0

I just spoke to the MySQl package maintainer and
we wondered which compiler flags will be the best to use.

Can someone please give us an overview of the PPC compiler options ?

- Do you think that altivec will give a measurable speed boost ?
- Can gcc create code which will use altivec for g4/g5
  but will run 'normal' code on non altivec PPC ?
- Or would you recommand to create to binaries optimized
  one normal and one optimised for altivec ?

Many thanks for your help.

-Gunnar