struggling with debian instalation on 12.1" ibook

Well, let me first thank you guys. I have been struggling installing debian on a 12.1" ibook with firewire 400 and usb2.0

Problems encountered and solved so far

Problem: Debian install discs would not boot (I read that you guys have a new cd, but the link I looked at was broken) Solution: Created a hfs partition on which I put four files, yaboot, yaboot.conf, root.bin and linux.bin

Problem: Debian instalation failed to detect a harddrive to install on.
Solution: Kernel didn't have ata100 drivers built in, got one of benh's kernels and replaced linux.bin with it

Problem: Base instalation went in but yaboot will not install. Thus the instalation won't boot. Solution: Use the yaboot command "boot: hd:6,yaboot root=/dev/hdc4 ro" This boots off the hfs partition

Problem: Yaboot command doesn't work, gives the following error "boot:6,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device. I also tried copying linux.bin to vmlinux on the hfs partition. This yeiled the same error. Solution: Add another boot option to the yaboot.conf on the hfs partition. Boot option is as follows

image=/linux.bin
   lable=remote
   root=/dev/hdc4

Problem: X won't work, failed to detect my Radeon Moblility,
Solution: I think this is a common problem, and thus there should be documentation on a solution on one of the lists, a link would be much appreciated.

Problem:  Still can't boot the instalation without going through yaboot.
Solution: Transfer/Download the kernel used to install the system into boot and point /vmlinux at it

Problem:  Instalation kernel doesn't support mounting hfs partitions
Solution: Build new 2.4 kernel that can

Problem: I have no clue what some of those checkboxes do
Solution: I could use a working kernel config for a linux 2.4.24 12.1 ibook with 400 and 2 usb 2.0

Problem: The kernel I did build doesn't work, halfway through the boot process the screen goes black, the sleep light flashes and the computer stops. Doesn't turn off, just stops
Solution: Email debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org?

Mike Power