Can I Install AND boot a new Kernel on an OldWorld PMac?

I'm desperately trying to get oldworld powermacs to boot different kernels (official images or custom). Yes plural, since I have several oldworlds and am not sure exactly which kernels I will need.

Can someone point me to a definitive HOWTO or thread in a mailing list? If not, any feedback on the below is very very welcome:

My test setup is a PowerMac 7500 with a 604 CPU (from a 7600) and two SCSI HDs (/dev/sda is linux only (ext2 with 4 partitions), dev/sdb is MocOS 9.1 (HFS)).

The first problem is that quik seems to work fine only after a fresh install. Installing Debian 3.0rev2 (2.2.20-pmac kernel) using BootX is simple, and the installer seems to set up quik and quik.config so that the machine will boot directly into linux (I can even disconnect the MacOS SCSI HD /sdb and it will still boot!). This is exactly what I want. However, this only works as long as the machine is not booted into MacOS by zapping the PRAM. After zapping the PRAM only booting from BootX works. Executing quik then has no effect (probably normal, since quik leaves the nvram untouched, right?). Installing a fresh Debian system enables to boot back into linux directly. Is there another way to fix the nvram and/or pram after zapping it, so I can boot directly to linux?

The second problem is installing a new kernel image (2.4.18-powermac) with dselect. dselects prompts you to execute quikconfig. If you do, then quikconfig writes a new quik.confg, that looks quite different from the original after a fresh install, and executes quik with it. The new quik.conf looks wrong to me: it sets image=/boot/vmlinux, but that file does not exist. The original install sets it to image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.20-pmac. Changing quik.conf by hand and executing quik does not seem to solve the problem. I've tried every combination I can think of: original style and new style with the different vmlinux and vmlinux-2.4.18-powermac arguments. Nothing does the trick. What seems strange, is that the original install process writes a different quik.conf as quikconig. What writes the quik.config during a fresh install?

Does anyone know how to get quik to work properly?

Christian Funk