Re: quik does not boot my wallstreet

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:40:23PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > boot-device     /pci/mac-io/ata0/ata-disk@0:11
>
> I believe you want 0:0 here, not 0:11. quik writes itself
> into the boot block (partition '0').

Actually, quik is written into the boot blocks at the beginning
of the partition. There isn't an MBR on a Mac disk like there
is on a DOS partitioned drive. In fact, it would be very bad
to overwrite the first few blocks of a Mac style drive, since
you would blow away the partition map. Most filesystems leave
the first couple blocks free for this reason. Even HFS and
HFS+ don't use the first block in a partition.

The reason for the thing with 0:0 is a bug in old versions of
Open Firmware about specifying a partition. If you tell it
to use partition 0, then it will search for a bootable one.
However, if you tell it the partition explicitly, it may
mess up and not boot at all. Supposedly that got fixed at
some point.

While we're on the subject, remember that quik used to have
a serious problem preventing it from running on any G3 chip.
I'm not sure if the patch ever made it into a package.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com