Re: fftw3: Patch for powerpc build failure

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 16:45, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 01:19:14PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 12:32:34PM -0500, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> > > the problem with fftw3 on powerpc is that the current debian/rules
> > > assumes that all powerpc CPUs know Altivec instructions. That is
> > > plainly untrue (Altivec is only available in the most recent CPUs) and
> > > leads to an illegal instruction error here. The buildd fails with sig
> > > 11, but I suspect the reason is the same.

No, as the signal 11 happens on Altivec machines. Which version do you
get an illegal instruction with doing what, under what circumstances? (I
suspect this should be another bug though)

> I'm cc'ing -powerpc just in case anyone has any other ideas.
> http://bugs.debian.org/223601 has the history. I suppose I *could* just
> upload the successful build from my laptop but I'm not very happy about
> doing that if it's just going to fail again on the buildd next time
> around, or if it indicates some bug which will bite programs linked
> against fftw3 ...

It fails the same way here as recorded in the bug history. Adding
-mabi=altivec to build tests/bench doesn't seem to make a difference
here (I do wonder whether all fftw3 dependants were or will be built
with it though...). Colin, which version of gcc-3.3 are you using? I
noticed I still have the one from testing, not from sid. I wonder which
version the buildd used, might be worth just retrying the build without
changes.

Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer