Re: Getting a cursor in console

Hello Harvey,

[...]
> >the cursor might be set to the same color as the background and
> >is therefore invisible or simply set to invisible mode. To make the
> >cursor non-blinking, visible and white enter
> >
> > echo -e '\033[?17;0;500c'
> >
> Thanks, Joe, this seems to have done the trick--I now have my white
> flashing cursor.

:-)  Add the line to /etc/bash.bashrc or ~/.bashrc to have it executed
automatically when bash is started up.

> >If this helps take a look at the kernel documentation for details,
> >the relevant part is "Software cursor for vga" (file VGA-softcursor.txt)
> >
> I'm embarassed to say so, but I couldn't find doc specifcally for
> kernel. I looked in /usr/doc & /usr/share/doc

No need to embarrassed, everyone has to learn stuff at some point.
The kernel documentation indeed resides in a non-standard directory.
Installing the kernel-source (package kernel-source-version) installs
a tarball named kernel-source-version.tar.bz2 in /usr/src which
includes the kernel documentation.

[...]

Joe