Unidentified subject!

	To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Bcc:
Subject: Re: ibook didn't detect hard drive

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:12:47PM -0800, Mike Power wrote:
> So the new kernel did the trick.  But I have a new problem.  When the
> installer went to make the hard disk bootable, it failed.  I switched to
> the instalation shell and started trying to do it by hand.
>
> This is partially solved so the following information might not be exact.
>
> I use the command yabootconfig -t target
> I get an error about /dev/hdc is an invalid device.
>
> After googling around for a solution I found out that yabootconfig and
> ofpath do not seem to like it when the cdrom and hard drive are
> reversed.  I think the guys said something about the cdrom being on hd
> and the hard drive being on ide0.  They also said that the newer yaboot
> software didn't have difficulty with this arrangement.
>
> At this point I realized that the debian howto said the yaboot that came
> on the cd was old, so I assumed that the yaboot on root.bin is also old
> so I decided to update it with all  new files.  So I copied the files
>
> ofpath
> mkofboot
>
> to /usr/sbin

Which version did you get for your new copy? yaboot 1.3.10? 11?

> At this point I run yabootconfig and get back an error mktemp not
> found.  So I copy make temp from the installation under /target and put
> it into /bin.
>
> At this point I ran into another problem that just blows my mind.  I
> decided not to solve it but simply go around.  The jist of the problem,
> when I copy yabootconfig to /usr/sbin/yabootconfig it also writes over
> /usr/sbin/mkofboot and visa versa.  This results with the files
> yabootconfig and mkofboot having the same contents.  I have no clue why
> this happens, I just decided to copy yabootconfig into /usr/sbin and
> mkofboot into /bin which is higher up in the $PATH.

I think you must be referring to ybin, not yabootconfig. mkofboot is in fact
simply a symlink to ybin, which recognizes what to do by the name it was
called with. yabootconfig is separate, and calls ybin/mkofboot after writing
a standard yaboot.conf.

> At this point running yabootconfig prints the error
> mkofboot: hfsutils is not installed or cannot be found
> mkofboot: Try --mount if Linux 2.4.20-ben5 supports HFS

The kernel you have probably doesn't have HFS support compiled in. You
can remedy this if the module is present, using

insmod hfs

> At this point I stopped, have I gone down the wrong path by overwriting
> the yabootconfig and mkofboot files.  I am worried that these particular
> files my have requirements that don't suite well fpr instalation, like
> dynamic linking and such.  Is there an installation version of yaboot
> that doesn't have these requirements?  Or maybe all these problems are
> really some other problem the I have created or missed.

These are shell scripts, no problems with linking.

Check your /etc/yaboot.conf to see if it makes sense. If not, just
fix it manually, then use mkofboot rather than yabootconfig. Also
be sure to copy your working /etc/yaboot.conf to /target/etc/yaboot.conf
for your future workign system.

You can use mkofboot with the -b option to tell it exactly where your
bootstrap partition is. That should avoid any worries with the drive
letters. If mkofboot doesn't complain, you should be in good shape.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People