Re: Debian on a BiG5

Le Vendredi 28 Novembre 2003 15:16, xavier grave a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have already a BiG4 1Ghz running a debian. Now I have also a BiG5.
> How can I create a CD to boot such a beast ?

This one should do that. parted with hfs and debootstrap are installed.
ftp://ftp.crihan.fr/mirrors/knoppix-mib.org/k-mib-ppc-beta-pre5.iso.gz

You should go in a root shell; just run "source /KNOPPIX/root/.profile" to set
the PATH correctly, and "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" to set the keyboard
correctly.

You can test with pre6, but it seems squashfs do a kernel oops on G5. pre5
works on already one G5.

There is a mailing list about this project. You can send there your opinion
about your tests. See there:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/k-mib

> Some idea I had :
>    - debootstrap a ppc64 on a directory on my BiG4 and use bootcdwrite
>    - debootstrap a ppc32 on a directory on my BiG4 and use bootcdwrite
>    - generate an installer (where do I need to go to have information
>      to do so?)
debootstrap seems to be the simpliest way, as soon as you are in a LAN. I like
the idea to make a liveCD with debian-installer, like in this project:
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debix/

> I can try both 32 and 64 bits benh kernels with ppc32 debian packages
> but do the ppc64 debian packages will work with a 32 bits or 64 bits
> kernel ?
You're welcome in the list above. It's a kind of knoppix project with ppc
port.

Regards
--
Fleny68