Re: debianppc list and sven virus

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Clive Menzies wrote:

> On (21/11/03 19:20), Mick Weiss wrote:
> > I think that sombody's box on the debianppc mailing list has the Sven virus.
> > After subscribing, I get 100+ e-mails that say that they are from Microsoft.
> >
> > I talked to some people at the local linux user group and thats what they
> > told me.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem?
> >
> > If this is indeed the case, and someone happens to be running windows ---
> > please use an anti-virus :o) pleeeeeez Any more mail and I will cringe.
> This has been an issue for some months and if you could check the
> archive (which appears to be down still) you would see copious posts on
> the problem and various ways of dealing with it.
>
> It appears that the debian lists are being harvested for addresses and
> if you post to any of them, you are a target.

The reason for this is simple:  any and all posts to Debian mailing lists are
available in the open. Reports sent to the BTS are also posted in raw form.
This makes it WAY too easy for people's e-mail addresses to be harvested!

IMHO, Debian Project leaders ought to be wisen up on the basics of network
security and spam prevention.

> FWIW I use mailfilter in conjunction with fetchmail to remove most of
> the swen stuff before download.  Attached is a copy of my mailfilterrc.

Nice, but this really ought to be implemented on the mailing list host, not by
each and every mailing list subscriber.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/