Re: xlibs breaking dependencies

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 17:08, Andreas Wüst wrote:

> Am Montag, 28.07.03, um 16:46 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Michel Dänzer:
>
> >> Yes, of course it works if I put gnome-session and xlibs into the same
> >> line. But you asked about the packages which get upgraded
> >> *additionally*, but since gnome-session alone doesn't work, I can
> >> *only* tell you which packages get upgraded at all by adding xlibs,
> >> and
> >> not which packages are *additionally* upgraded compared to an install
> >> line with only gnome-session!!
> >
> > I mean in addition to gnome-session and xlibs (and possibly what
> > gnome-session alone complains about).
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it. In respective to what?? gnome-sessions
> complaint has been attached to the last post, it was the first
> paragraph of the output!

Sure, I merely tried to explain what I meant by what you already snipped
above.

> >> Ok, now, a lot of ouput follows.
> >
> > You can't expect to gain information by trying only one package at a
> > time in general, so you could have saved some. :)
>
> Huh?? You mean, I can't find the problem when following only one of the
> dependencies?

Yes, _in general_, because some problems like this only manifest
themselves with certain combinations of packages.

> Or e.g. you could also try something simple as
>
> # apt-get -u -t unstable install xterm
>
> This directly leads to the broken dependency on xlibs!

Good idea, does this yield more information?

> >> The following NEW packages will be installed:
> >
> > This could be the reason why it wouldn't upgrade xlibs automatically;
> > it still doesn't tell why it needs to install these for upgrading
> > xlibs though, maybe some versioned dependency.
>
> Which means what?

I don't know. :( All this fuss and none the wiser. Keep digging, good
luck. :)