Re: X won't log in (was Re: Xpmac can't find font 'fixed')

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 18:41, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
>
> Just a guess, but I bet the valkyrie chip doesn't do 24 bit depth. Change it
> to 8 to start, and perhaps try 15 or 16 later.
>
> To change it in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, in the Screen section, there will be a
> line DefaultDepth    24. Change that to 8. I'm surprised that XFree86 doesn't
> downgrade automatically though.

Why? The X server generally tries to behave as requested, and if that's
not possible, it aborts. Even if you don't like this policy, and
assuming that it knows that the depth causes the problem (I doubt it,
but I have to admit I'd have to dig into the code a bit to tell for sure
:), initialization is almost complete based on the requested depth at
this point.