Re: 2.6-test1 on ppc?

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 08:10:34AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> I was very gently nudged...told that "I should stick w/ 2.4.21-behnxxxxx, as
> that's cutting edge for powerpc." I have to admit that I'm rather indignant
> about this "advice." (on this list, no less!) However, I have been told via
> irc that woody doesn't have a sufficient tool chain to properly compile
> 2.6.0-testx kernel yet, and elsewhere that the linux kernel is now an
> exclusive community of only developers, and that us peons who want vanilla
> kernels to compile for their (non-i386) platforms just have to wait.

I built 2.6.0-test1 (from the linuxppc-2.5 rsync tree on
source.mvista.com) on my PowerMac 7500 with sid. I don't know if you
have to have GCC 3.x now to compile it, but I heard something about
binutils needing to be new enough.

I had to make a couple hacks to the source to get it to build clean
though, and the SWIM3 floppy controller driver doesn't presently build
right (it prevents a successful build). I'm rather surprised that I had
to tweak the source, especially at this late stage, to get it to build
successfully.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net