Re: {firewire,modem,superdrive}problems with 2.4.21-ben2

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 18:42, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> I have approx. the same machine, I've had success with earlier 2.4.21
> version, but it may be something broken in the latest. I'll check that
> out and eventually merge a more recent 2.4 branch from the ieee1394
> svn tree.

well, I could simply hang the machine when rmmoding the ohci driver in
2.4.20-ben10 ... so would consider testing rmmoding/insmodding for some
time before accepting it...

> > Jul  9 15:08:52 no kernel: ieee1394: unsolicited response packet received - np
> > Jul  9 15:08:52 no kernel: ieee1394: contents: ffc09d20 ffc10000 00000000 0e945194
> > Jul  9 15:09:52 no kernel: ieee1394: unsolicited response packet received - np
> > Jul  9 15:09:52 no kernel: ieee1394: contents: ffc02520 ffc10000 00000000 db025194

I don't even know whether this is a serious problem or just a warning I
can ignore.

> Hrm... I did a quick test a couple of monthes ago when I helped fix
> the wrong parameters issue (that caused the driver to work only once)
> and it worked, but I try to avoid this modem as much as possible ;)
> There might be something still wrong. I have spotted a couple of
> possible races in the USB code in there, I plan to work with Marc
> Boucher during OLS on these.

Ok, so I have to sit and wait...

> > 3.superdrive
> >
> > when using dvdrecord or the patched cdrecord, it seems to dvd-burn ok,
> > but from time to time I get
> > Jul  9 12:21:51 no kernel: hdc: timeout waiting
> > for dbdma command stop
> > Jul  9 12:21:51 no kernel: hdc: bad status at DMA end, dstat=8400
> >
> > and the whole dvd-r is just garbage...
> >
> > I will happily help tracing bugs when someone with in detail knowlege
> > tells me what to do.
>
> The latest is interesting... Was it followed by an IDE or ATAPI error ?
> If not, then we have a "short transfer" (that is the driver transfering
> less than what was asked). That is nasty and is not dealt properly by

yes there was no error msg after that except when I wanted to eject the
disc that I got
Jul  9 11:39:51 no kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Jul  9 11:39:51 no kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Jul  9 11:40:04 no kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Jul  9 11:40:04 no kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

> the current driver. I need to work with Jens Axboe on this issue, the
> workaround of just terminating the transfer on the disk interrupt
> isn't very satisfying and may expose some races.

So is all I can do sit and wait or would it help to supply some infos
from what I get in xmon ?

btw, I see my logs getting filled when using ifplugd and when I am on
airport only with:

Jul  6 18:20:12 no kernel: eth0: switching to forced 100bt
Jul  6 18:20:19 no kernel: eth0: switching to forced 10bt

I simply removed the offending lines from the kernel then it stopped...
could this patch be included in your tree ?

Soeren.