Re: updated kernel problem

Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Sven Luther wrote:

it means that the kernel-patch-2.4.20-powerpc is in truth pmac only, and
should better be named kernel-patch-2.4.20-powerpc-pmac or something such ?
Or am i missing something ?

I have yet to see hardware-specific kernels on PPC, but I think it would be nice
to have at least some pre-built kernels for the iMac and also the iBook models.

kernel-image-2.4.21-imac would be really nice and save users a lot of guesswork.

As for the PPC patches, I am not familiar enough with them to comment.

*cough* I think the phrase "I have yet to see hardware-specific kernels on PPC" could do with some more thought ;-)

I have 3 PowerPC machines running Debian, none of them are from Apple, and they need very hardware-specific kernels to work (two are PReP and one is an AmigaOne). I suspect you're only thinking of Apple hardware when you're saying PPC, and frankly I don't like people who do that. It's like the people who "support all platforms", aka MacOS and Windows.

Nah, I don't dislike you just for that one. But I think everyone should keep in mind that debian-powerpc != debian-apple. It includes a lot of Apple hardware, yes. But it includes a LOT more as well... :-)

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/