iMac static

I've been trying to get sound on my iMac (slot loading DVD) with a Woody
r1 install. I managed to get sound with esd in the default (2.2) kernel
but I want to use the 2.4. When I use the 2.4 and add the dmasound_pmac
module, I get mostly white noise from the speakers. esd will run still
and I can hear the effects although they're rather staticy(?). (I also
get clicks and pitch changes that parallel display changes (i.e. clicking
as text scrolls by like when you have a short in a PS2 mouse port). I was
thinking that I might need to pass something to the module but I don't
know what.
I'm going to try to do this with ALSA while I wait for a reply, in the
event I should fail the secretary...never mind.
Thanks for the help.
PS I've read that ext2 has problems with partitions over 6GB, how true is
this and is it still true under ext3?
C. Evans
"No comment."