Re: iBook and different network configurations

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:01:30PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> > ifplugd is a software that detect when you plug a cable to your
> > ethernet
> > interface and act accordingly.
> >
> > whereami and friends, IIRC, are tools that try to identify to which
> > lan
> > you are connected to.
>
> Hmm, I don't understand the difference between both. Could you
> please tell me?

That's simple, in the first categogy they tried to detect when there is
a link. So when you plug your laptop, ifup ethX is called automatically
and ifdown when you unplug.
In the second category, the link is supposed to be there and they tru to
identify the network (home or work?) by sending arp requests.

Christophe

Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're
absolutely right. --Henry Ford