Re: DMASOUND, scsi

Paul Talacko wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 08:48:19PM -0800, Nathan S. wrote:
>
>>I compiled my own kernel yesterday (feeling very proud of doing just
>>that) and have fixed some problems.  I have questions about dma sound
>>and scsi though.  I compiled (kernel-source-2.4.18 with patch from
>>kernel.org) with CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC=y and CONFIG_DMASOUND=y, but get
>>no sound.  Do I need just dmasound_pmac, or do I need to include
>>sound_dmap=y?
>>

> Sound has been a problem for me too.  On my 6500 (yes, I know it's
> *really* old), I get no dmasound.  A partial solution is to use alsa.
> If you do this make sure you uninstall the dmasound modules.
>
> ALSA is not perfect because I have no volume control at all unless I use
> alsa-player, and even then the maximum volume is only half of what it
> should be.  If I try to use a mixer when xmms or mp3blaster is playing
> the sound starts to break up completely.
>
> I'm planning to try the alsa-xmms plugin to see what happens, but it's
> only available in unstable at the moment and I'm running stable, and I
> haven't figured out how to run one unstable package on a machine that is
> running stable everywhere else -- but I'll get there.
>
> So, in short, try ALSA.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

I'm sorry to hear that about alsa - I was thinking of switching to that,
but it doesn't look like that would be a better solution than fixing dmasound.

As far as installing an unstable package while maintaining a stable
machine, I do it this way:

add the line deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main (and
whatever else you want here) to /etc/apt/sources.list

Then run apt-get update to get the new list of packages.  Then to
install the package just enter apt-get install foo.  If you only want
the one package, then you can go back in and comment out the 'unstable'
line in sources.list and run apt-get update again.  If you don't do
this, make sure you specify the version of any new packages you want
after that so that you don't install an unstable package by accident.

I'm new to apt, so if something doesn't look right, somebody give a holler.

Regards,
Nathan